SKIPPER ONLINE COURSE
With the change in lifestyle which Covid 19 brought about, it is the safe and most convenient way to get one’s skipper qualification.
The online course covers the SAMSA syllabus for the ‘R’ (Inland waters) and ‘E’ (1 Nautical Mile Sea) entry level licenses. A holder of a R-license can upgrade to an E-license the moment he/she has the necessary sea hours – without doing another course.
Who should do the online course?
- In this trying times, the first reason would be to be safe.
- Anyone, who does not have the time or facility nearby, wishing to write the SAMSA examination and apply for a skipper license.
- A person who wishes to study beforehand and then attend a skipper course.
- Anyone who wishes to have more knowledge on the handling of a water going vessel but does not necessary wants to write the SAMSA exam.
- “Skipper assistant” It is a good idea to have a backup on board should something happen to the skipper. This can include anyone who cruises on a regular basis with an existing skipper. Someone younger than 16 can do the course but can only write the SAMSA exam after turning 16.
Click here to see how it works.
Although the course materials are good, I was extremely disappointed to find out (only after paying for course and enrolling) that one could not write the online exam. This was the main reason that I did this as I live as an Expat and have very little time back home to go on day courses. This information should be made available to prospective clients BEFORE accepting their money and still selling the idea that the exam can be written online!!!
Hi Darryl We understand your frustration for not being able to write the final SAMSA exam online. The online exam was tested 11 months ago during lockdown 5 with a few students which SAMSA sat in on. It was very successful and SAMSA requested that we do a formal application for the online exam to continue. We are waiting since for SAMSA’s license committee to convene to process the application! After numerous requests and follow-ups, no joy! We find it equally frustrating as we know of hundreds of students who, like in your case, do not have the time to travel and sit for the exam and, in other cases, are hesitant to visit public places due to the worldwide virus epidemic. Internationally learning institutions have adopted to the new realities and times we live in. Unfortunately SAMSA is way behind with current technology and trends. Online students do not have to spend a day in a class and can arrange a date and time which suits them to write the final exam. This was specifically designed for students, like in your case, who do not have the time to attend a one day class. Please contact us and we will see how we can assist to make the experience a less cumbersome one! After all, boating is a pleasure experience and getting your license should be the same!
I really enjoyed the structure of this course and am confident in my ability to pass the Skippers Exam. The material was easy to understand and tested well in order to prepare me effectively.
I enjoyed going through the course. Found it to be very user friendly, informative, well structured, easy to follow and understand. Very good preparation indeed. Excellent