Can I upgrade from a R-license to an E-license?
Yes you can. As soon as you have the required sea hours, you can apply to SAMSA for an upgrade.
Marine Notice 13 of 2011 10.7.1 reads “The rationale is that only one basic entry level exists, where practical experience (i.e. sea time) dictates which of the two are issued. Hence, a Skipper Inland Waters can upgrade his certificate to an E by obtaining sea time on category E or higher vessels.”
The following documentation is required for an upgrade from R to E:
- Annex 6 Registration – Click here to download
- Annex 8 Application for upgrade – Click here to download
- Annex 17 Medical Certificates – Click here to download
- Annex 16 Log book – sea time minimum 50 hours signed by a qualified skipper – Click here to download
- Certified ID
- Four colour ID photos
- Copy of your category R skipper licence
What happens if I fail the exam?
The exam paper is divided in modules for which you must get 50% – 60% per module- depending on the module. Experience has shown that in some cases students might have a problem with one module while flying through the others. Most examiners will invite the student back, revisit the problem module(s) and let him/she rewrite the module(s). This is normally at no extra costs. The objective of a reliable instructor will always be to ensure that his students understand the material and can write the exam successfully.
Can I do an oral exam instead of writing?
Yes you can. You do find people that clamp up when they have to write an exam or might have a condition like dyslexia, stress etc. and have difficulties in writing the exam. A person, other than the lecturer, can be appointed to conduct the oral exam.
Do I need to study beforehand?
The subjects are covered in detail during the theory session and are revisited during the practical session. We recommended that students have a good night’s rest, do not stress and feel free to ask questions during the sessions. Some academies have a pre-study pack – require about it when registering for a course.
When doing the online course, will it be possible to get support should I need more information on a subject?
Yes. Students have a message system which will put them in direct contact with the lecturer.
What if, after I enrolled for the online course, realize this method of study is not for me?
Your satisfaction is extremely important to us. If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with the course, you can contact us for a refund on the following conditions:
- The cancellation is within 7 days of the enrollment date.
- You have not completed more than 2 modules of the course.
How can I ensure that I’m not writing my exam with a dubious examiner?
All SAMSA examiners must be registered with SAMSA and will be issued with an examiner’s number. If you are unsure you can:
- Ask the examiner for his/her registration certificate. Valid examiners will not have an issue to give you a copy.
- Contact SAMSA (27 (0) 12 366 2600) and ask if the examiner is registered.